1.02.2011

My First 5K (of the Year) Race Report

I finished  My First 5K (of the Year) downtown at the Capitol.  It was a nicely organized race.  The kids race started before the adults and it was great to watch the little ones running alongside giant fruit.  The race is organized by the Wellness Task Force so the focus is on fitness.  It highly encourages first-timers and rewards them with a medal.  So it was great to see so many newcomers to the distance out on this dreary, rainy Sunday morning.  I managed to keep up my 3:1 run/walk ratio for most of the race and switched to 2:1 for the last mile as I felt myself slowing down.  My final time was 40:41 which is less than 10 seconds off my best 5K time in recent memory.   And, it was 9 minutes faster than my painful turkey trot experience just six weeks ago.  Yeah!!!  I was pushing myself but felt strong throughout.  I think a sub-40 5K will be in my future very soon if I keep up this pace.  It started raining hard right after I finished so I didn't stick around for the Resolution toast, but I did fill out a card at the resolution table.  The Wellness Task Force will mail it back to folks mid-year for extra encouragement.  I can't wait!  It will provide an opportunity for reflection, readjustment, and celebration of health and fitness goals mid-year.  Overall, a great race and one I would definitely recommend in future years.  

No comments:

Post a Comment