6.03.2012

Could Have Been A PR. Half-Marathon #25 Race Report

Successfully completed my 25th Half Marathon since October of 2009.  It was one for the record books but unfortunately not the personal record book.  I was excited to try the See Jane Run Half in Alameda.  Who can resist an all women's race with a tag line, "I run for chocolate and champagne."  More on revising that tag line later.  The morning started rather uneventfully.  The roads were blocked to access the parking recommended in the race updates but managed to secure a primo spot right across from the park with quick access to the start line.  Alameda is much cooler than training in Sacramento so I had high hopes for my performance.  The race started off and I began my 3:1 run/walk ratios and was making consistent progress.  The first part of the race runs next to the bay so the views were nice.  The roads weren't so nice.  The camber of the roads weren't severe but unpleasant throughout most of the race and it was nearly impossible to find a flat place to run unless one ran on the narrow trails which became quickly crowded.  Despite the road surfaces, I was making consistent good time.  Made it to the half-way point at 1:26 and was hopeful for a PR.  I picked it up a bit and the PR seemed well within reach until the bridge.  Yes, at about mile 10, I was among one of the first runners stopped behind the bridge gate while they opened up the bridge to allow a boat to pass.  About four minutes or so later we were able to continue on.  Now there was no one in front of us and my legs just never really recovered from that pause.  I drudged in the last couple miles and still managed to finish under three hours.  So that means 4 half marathons so far in 2012 and all of them under 3 hours.


But, my bad luck continued upon crossing the finish line where I was welcomed to one of the most disorganized finish areas ever seen.  I got my micro-medal and a bottle of water and then it was unclear where to get food, finisher shirt, and champagne.  I found the food line with limited options--Luna bar, banana, and bagel.  I then found the goody bag and finisher shirts on the other side of the expo area only to be provided a shirt size that I didn't request and doesn't fit because they ran out of the size that I asked for when I preregistered.  I then stumbled into the champagne glass line and did manage to get a glass only to go to the next booth and be told that there was no more champagne.  Hence, I'm thinking the revised tagline should be  "Run for wrong size shirt, chocolate, and empty champagne glass."   It doesn't exactly have the same ring to it though.  


Now back home, I look up my results only to discover something happened with my timing chip.  I only have a gun time reported which is less than 3 hours but my official chip time should be about 2 1/2 minutes less than that!  So disappointing.  


I will cross this race off my list.  I am happy that it was offered on a free weekend and allowed me to successfully complete half marathon #25.  The organization was a bummer and probably won't be a repeat runner in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment