5.11.2010

Presidential Mile

It's the beginning of the month which means time for presidential fitness testing and the one mile run.  How I dreaded these exercises when I was in school but I was looking forward to it today with such anticipation.  I felt confident that I could improve on last month's time of 15:39.  I took a different strategy this time.  I felt pretty sure that I could not run an entire mile continuously at race pace so I set out with 5 minutes of running and one minute of walking.  When that first walk break came, I was so ready!!  But then I started running again and when the second walk break came, I was so close to finishing I kept running.  My new presidential mile time is 12:27!!!!  I can now run a mile in 12 minutes and 27 seconds.  Unbelievable!   What a difference just one month can make!  And one of my running buddies also did her presidential mile test today and improved her time by 2 minutes.  It's amazing.

The even more amazing news and proof of progress is that I am no longer in the <5%ile.
I am now in the 23 %ile for girls 17+ (emphasis on the +!) AND the time actually puts me above the 50%ile for ages 6-8.  I couldn't say that I was average or even above average on this chart last month, so I am very pleased with my progress.  Now, I can't wait until June for the next presidential mile!  This will help keep me motivated during the month of May.

No comments:

Post a Comment