3.28.2010

Come On Sistah

    Half Marathon No. 9 could have easily been a love potion as well.  Oakland is a great city that put on a great event.  The police officers manning the course were cheering on the runners which is highly unusual in my experience.  There was even on police officer out using his radar gun!  I'm not sure my speed could even register on the device but at least there was no chance I could get a ticket!  The route passed a half dozen fire stations and the firefighters were out in full force cheering on folks.  The course passed lots and lots of different churches and the church folk were cheering us on as well.  I've never heard so many, "Jesus loves you, You're blessed, Praise the Lords" while running.  Definitely a different experience.  I just felt the city in general was out in full force.  Lots and lots of high fives with random people along the sidelines.  I loved all the Come On Sistahs, Last Mile with a Smiles, and I got money on you.  At mile 6 there was even a chance to run through a wall of fire!  Oh, and the Oakland rabid sport fans were also represented.  Oakland A's fans were protesting a possible move to San Jose and there were Raider fans out in their full face paint and body armor.  The city definitely put on a great event and I look forward to returning.
     I needed all the support I could get.  My legs were super tight at the beginning and weren't loosening up.  So, I ending up walking mile 2 and by mile 3 I was ready to resume my 3 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking.  It was super warm and with the half starting at 9:00am, I could feel the heat early on.  I made sure to double up at each aid station.  It was mile 4ish when the half met up with the full marathon course that began at 7:30.  This was a great course design because it meant that there was a ready supply of fresh, strong runners passing me by.  When people look that good after 17 miles and beyond it serves to inspire and keep going.  It definitely did that for me.  With a final finishing time of 3:06.15, I'm pleased.  I walked an entire mile.  There were some elevation changed and at the 3 hour mark, I was only 1/2 mile from the finish line.  To reach my goal time of under 3 hours, I only need to gain 1/2 mile.  I think that is completely doable in one of my next couple half marathons.

No comments:

Post a Comment