3.27.2010

Oakland Eve

     I woke up sore this morning from moving and unpacking boxes last night.   Carrying boxes up and down stairs is a significant work out for me.  I wasn't really planning on running today because I'm doing a half marathon tomorrow, but I didn't want to disappoint my running buddy.  So I got her out on the trail under false pretenses.   It was only then did I tell her that I was planning on walking.  I walked a leisurely pace for 4 miles while she completed a 7 mile run.  It was a beautiful day to be out on the trail.  The birds were out and singing and the sun was gorgeous.  I even managed to see (and hear!) a woodpecker.  The walk was able to work out my soreness, so hopefully I'll be good to go tomorrow. 
     The drive to Oakland was rather uneventful and I'm sorry to say so was the running expo.  I know this is an inaugural event but the running expo was the tiniest thing I've ever seen.  Not a whole lot of products or free stuff.  It was almost a why bother.  At least I didn't have to worry about buying anything!   The nice thing is that the volunteers outnumbered the participants and were very helpful.  Hopefully the same is true out on the course and it will all be worth it.  After a five minute trip to the expo, yes, that was all it took to get my gear and walk through the mini-maze of non-existent exhibitors, I checked into my hotel and was pleasantly surprised.  You never know what you get when you make hotel reservations on travel sites and my track record in the recent past hasn't been that great.  This place looks like Melrose Place.  All the rooms face out on a common courtyard that is the pool.  Hopefully that is where the similarities end and there won't be any Melrose Drama to interrupt my pre-race slumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment